Thanks for thinking of Advocates for Youth for your upcoming report! This page should be a starting point for your research. Below is an overview of our mission and programs, as well as links that will help guide your search.
Mission of Advocates for Youth: To animate the vision of a society that views sexuality as normal and healthy and treats young people as a valuable resource, with the core values of Rights. Respect. Responsibility. ® (3Rs)
- Rights: Youth have the right to accurate and complete sexual health information, confidential reproductive and sexual health services, and a secure stake in the future.
- Respect: Youth deserve respect. Valuing young people means involving them in the design, implementation and evaluation of programs and policies that affect their health and well-being.
- Responsibility: Society has the responsibility to provide young people with the tools they need to safeguard their sexual health, and young people have the responsibility to protect themselves from too-early childbearing and sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including HIV.
- AMAZE is a partnership to provide young people and sex educators with short animations covering topics from consent to body image to sexual orientation.
- Kikis with Louie is a video series for and by young, gay, men of color and trans teens designed to provide community, dialogue and education.
- Rights, Respect, Responsibility: A K-12 Sex Education Curriculum is a curriculum that fully meets the National Sexuality Education Standards. The curriculum seeks to address both the functional knowledge related to sexuality and the specific skills necessary to adopt healthy behaviors.
Youth Leadership & Activism Programs
- Abortion Out Loud works to break the stigma around abortion by using storytelling and art to share personal experiences and end the silence.
- Engaging Communities around HIV Organizing (ECHO) trains and supports young people living with HIV working to end the stigma and criminalization of it.
- The Condom Collective distributes condoms across thousands of campuses, working to normalize safer sex practices.
- Know Your IX empowers survivors to end sexual and dating violence on campus, and advocate for Title IX protections for survivors of sexual assault.
- Muslim Youth Leadership Council (MyLC) create LGBTQ inclusive spaces, amplify issues impacting the Muslim community, and advocates for inclusion in the reproductive justice movement.
- National Youth HIV & AIDS Awareness Day (NYHAAD) educates the public about the impact of HIV and AIDS on young people and highlights the work they’re already doing.
- Student Organizers advocate for policy changes that support young people’s sexual health and rights.
- YouthResource Leadership Program (YouthResource) advocates for policies and practices that impact LGBTQ youth of color on a local, state and federal level.
- Young Women of Color 4 Reproductive Justice Collection (YWOC) organizes to decrease sexual health disparities in communities of color and advocates for inclusion into the the reproductive justice movement.