TITLE: Organizing Intern
SUPERVISOR: Manager of Youth Activist Network
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: January 2022 – April 2022 (15 weeks total, 20 hours a week, $15/hr)
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Advocates for Youth (Advocates) partners with young people and their adult allies to champion youth rights to bodily autonomy and build power to transform policies, programs and systems to secure sexual health and equity for all youth.
GENERAL PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Under the supervision of the Manager of the Youth Activist Network, the Organizing intern will assist in supporting the growth and development of the Youth Activist Alliances in Alabama, Minnesota, Nevada, and Texas.
Youth Activist Alliance Leaders are youth organizers who run local or state-level grassroots campaigns for change in youth sexual health and rights and reproductive justice in Alabama, Minnesota, Nevada, and Texas. By joining our Youth Activist Network (YAN), youth serve as local lead organizers for a city, county, or state alliance. By co-creating bold visions in the fight for a world free from oppression, each alliance will launch their own campaign for change targeting their county and city councils, school boards, and state legislatures, and build up a powerful base of young activists committed to the movement for reproductive justice.
- Organizing skills – base building, mobilization, being part of grassroots student or community organization (doesn’t have to be a paid role)
- Digital organizing – experience moving people to take political action through social media and email (doesn’t have to be a paid role)
- Must have excellent organizational and administrative skills with a demonstrated interest in organizing, advocacy, and reproductive health, rights, and justice issues.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with a diverse group is a must
- Ability to pay keen attention to detail and to be able to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Support with social media posts for each Youth Activist Alliance, creating weekly social media posts on Twitter and Instagram
- Support with logistics and outreach for a summit for our Youth Activist Alliances in early 2022, including but not limited to – recruitment and registration tracking, email and social media outreach, co-creating a detailed tick tock with youth and staff, moderating Zoom sessions and chats
- Development and maintenance of partnership and contact lists for each Youth Activist Alliance
- Support with outreach for Youth Activist Alliance programming and actions
- This position is remote due to COVID-19 restrictions. Preference for intern to be located in Eastern and Central time zones.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com with subject line Organizing Intern and last name. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until December 19, 2021. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. No telephone calls or email inquiries, please.
Advocates for Youth is an equal Opportunity/ Americans with Disabilities Act employer and strongly encourages people of color and LGBTQ people to apply.