Job Opening: Content Coordinator for Social Media and Website
Advocates for Youth is seeking a Content Coordinator for Social Media and Website. The Content Coordinator will work with the Communications team to ensure that Advocates’ website and digital channels are updated regularly as well as create materials and posts for the website and social media. To apply, please fill out this form.
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Advocates for Youth (Advocates) partners with young people and their adult allies to champion youth rights to bodily autonomy and build power to transform policies, programs and systems to secure sexual health and equity for all youth.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Through funding from private foundations and government agencies, Advocates partners with state-based organizations, school districts, youth-serving organizations, community-based agencies, and health care providers to build support for and capacity to promote youth sexual health and rights.
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Advocates for Youth’s Communications team works to ensure that young people are centered in conversations about reproductive and sexual health and rights. This team is responsible for media relations, digital strategy, digital campaigns, strategic projects, graphic design, and website content and maintenance.
- Update Advocates’ website on a daily basis, including maintaining existing content as well as adding new pages and resources as needed, using the website CMS.
- This includes adding content others have written, revising existing content, and writing new content.
- Work with Advocates staff throughout the organization to ensure the website reflects their program needs.
- In collaboration with the Senior Manager of Digital Strategy & Content, schedule daily content for Advocates’ social media accounts sharing news, resources, and upcoming events. Brainstorm and execute new ways to expand Advocates’ social media presence, including through engaging text, video, and graphics.
- Work with the Communications team to develop and conceptualize additional social media posts and campaigns.
- Manage and post incoming social media requests from staff, partner organizations, etc.
- Create weekly reports on media and social media successes and challenges.
- Occasionally, draft newsletter content, email blasts, and/or statements for press.
- Occasionally, create quick graphics such as document headings, webpage preview images, or charts using Canva or other simple design programs (note, there is also a full time graphic designer on staff).
- Excellent writing, storytelling and communication skills through social media stories and web content
- Strong experience using social media platforms
- Ability to understand and use various content platforms (web CMS, social media managers, newsletter creation, task management system, etc)
- Ability to follow organizational messaging closely and ensure the organization’s voice and vision is present in all messaging and content creation
- Experience in graphic design is preferred, but not required
- Video editing a plus
The successful candidate will have strong experience with digital platforms including Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter; will have an understanding of content management systems; will be an excellent and snappy writer of web and social copy; will understand how to write for different platforms and audiences; will have an understanding of metrics and engagement for social media and web platforms; and will be able to support Communications and Digital staff in creating and executing digital content. This experience can come from internships, local organizing, or personal experience – it does not have to be from salaried work experience.
In addition, the successful candidate will have the ability to contribute to a positive team environment and to balance multiple projects at once. Qualified candidates must be committed to Advocates for Youth’s mission and goals.
HOURS: This is a full-time position and includes health/dental benefits.
SALARY: $58,000 to $65,000
START DATE: Negotiable but ideally no later than June 1, 2022
LOCATION: Advocates’ offices are in the District of Columbia. Candidates for this position can work remotely, but need to be available during east coast working hours. Some travel will be required if the candidate lives outside the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area.
Advocates for Youth is an Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act employer and strongly encourages BIPOC and LGBTQ people to apply.
To apply, please fill out this form. For best consideration, please apply by May 8, 2022.