Muslim Youth Leadership Council (MyLC)
The Muslim Youth Leadership Council (MyLC) is a group of Muslim-identifying people ages 16-24 from across the country, working locally and nationally as activists, organizers, writers, and leaders on intersectional issues affecting young Muslims. MyLC focuses on four main areas of work: countering Islamophobia and anti-Muslim hate, strengthening sexual health and reproductive rights for young Muslims, promoting LGBTQ rights and supporting queer Muslims, and working towards racial justice and countering anti-Blackness in our communities.
Note: We recognize the diversity in the Muslim community. Our involvement in this project is in Muslim youth leadership development around Reproductive Justice in the United States including LGBTQ health and rights, immigrant rights, and sexual and reproductive health and rights. This project is based on Muslim youth development in the United States and is not focused on theological perspectives.
What do MyLC organizers do?
MyLC is a year-long leadership council dedicated to bringing together young Muslim identifying people in the United States and furthering their goals of becoming leaders within their communities and beyond. The Council runs from September – May, with some additional opportunities for summer work.
Youth Leaders will work to educate, mobilize and amplify issues impacting their communities by engaging in a variety of ways including:
- Raising awareness among Muslim identifying young people, especially amongst LGBTQ Muslim youth and immigrant Muslim youth around Reproductive Justice issues such as abortion, comprehensive sexuality education, menstrual justice, or contraceptive access.
- Developing social media campaigns (#MuslimAnd), opinion pieces, and cultural content like Instagram carousels, zines, podcast episodes, or art to spread the word about the issues we care about
- Engaging and mobilizing Muslim youth in our respective locations around issues that impact them and their communities/campuses
- Building partnerships with traditional Muslim communties and the mainstream LGBTQ movement to highlight the existence of queer Muslim youth
- Developing resources on LGBTQ inclusive Muslim sex-ed, and conversation guides on addressing racism, sexism, and other forms of discrimination in our communities
In addition to receiving trainings, resources, and peer-to-peer education throughout the year, young people accepted to the program will attend the Youth Activist Institute from September 8-12th, 2022.
Who can apply to MyLC?
Applicants must be:
- Ages 16-24
- Identify as Muslim
- Be based in the United States
- Ready to organize in favor of LGBTQ health & rights
- Support sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice
Note: It is not required that you are a college student to apply. We welcome all young people who align with our mission.