Regional Module: Teacher Training on Comprehensive Sexuality Education for East and Southern Africa
This module was developed as a resource to support pre-service training of teachers for the delivery of school-based sexuality education in East and Southern Africa. Designed for trainers who are delivering pre-service training on sexuality education in the region, this participatory training equips teachers with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to deliver effective sexuality education in the classroom.
Pre-tested in Uganda and through a regional training of trainers workshop held in South Africa, the module includes nine core sessions lasting approximately 38 hours, requiring a total of 42 hours in its totality. Key topic areas include adolescent sexual and reproductive health in East and Southern Africa; an overview of sexuality education; adolescent development; experiential learning and facilitation skills; classroom management; application of skills through simulation of lesson plan delivery, and policy and ethical considerations.
Trainers can use the module to tailor trainings according to the number of days/hours available for training teachers. While the material is focused on training teachers for school-based sexuality education, the material can be adapted to out-of-school environments.
Full Teacher Training Module:
Teacher Training Module by Sessions:
- Introduction: Teacher Training on Comprehensive Sexuality Education for East and Southern Africa
- Session 1: Introductions and Launch of the Training
- Session 2: Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health in East and Southern Africa
- Session 3: Talking About Sexuality Education
- Session 4: Getting Ready to Teach Sexuality Education
- Session 5: Applying Effective Teaching Methodologies for Sexuality Education
- Session 6: Knowing Your Content
- Session 7: Classroom Management
- Session 8: Application, Practice, and Resources
- Session 9: Understanding Human Rights Agreements, Legal, and Professional Ethics
- Appendix 1: Sample Agenda
- Appendix II: Sexuality Education for Physically, Emotionally, and Developmentally Disabled Youth
- Appendix III: Additional Resources
Regional Lesson Plans: A Set of Individual Scripted Lesson Plans for Comprehensive Sexuality Education in East and Southern Africa.
This set of 14 individual scripted lesson plans was developed to support school-based delivery of comprehensive sexuality education (CSE) in East and Southern Africa.