Job Opening: Organizing and Mobilization Intern
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Advocates for Youth (Advocates) partners with young people and their adult allies to champion youth rights to bodily autonomy and build power to transform policies, programs and systems to secure sexual health and equity for all youth.
Advocates for Youth envisions a society in which all young people are valued, respected,and treated with dignity; sexuality is accepted as a healthy part of being human; and youth sexual development is normalized and embraced. In such a world, all youth and young adults are celebrated for who they are and afforded honest, affirming, inclusive sex education; access to confidential, universal sexual health services; and the economic, educational, and social power to exercise their bodily autonomy and make informed decisions regarding their health and well-being.
GENERAL PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Under the supervision of the Strategic Projects Manager, the Organizing intern will assist in supporting the growth and development of our nationwide Youth Activist Collective.
Established in 2020, the Youth Activist Collective is a larger network – beyond our Youth Activist Network – of thousands of young people across the country who want to help make their communities stronger by advocating for inclusive sex education, LGBTQ health & rights, abortion access, and so much more.
- Organizing skills – base building, mobilization, being part of grassroots student or community organization (does not have to be a paid role)
- Digital organizing – experience moving people to take political action through social media and email
- Event planning – experience planning virtual and in-person events such as workshops, teach-ins, and trainings
- Must have excellent organizational and administrative skills with a demonstrated interest in organizing, advocacy, and reproductive health, rights, and justice issues.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with a diverse group is a must
- Ability to pay keen attention to detail and to be able to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Development and planning of summer organizing for reproductive justice events series, including:
- Researching and developing content for the series
- Conducting outreach to speakers and trainers
- Developing promotional materials and recruiting attendees for the series
- Creation of social media content to support the organizing for reproductive justice series
LOCATION: Advocates’ offices are based in Washington, DC. Candidates for this position can be hybrid or fully remote but need to be available during Eastern Time Zone working hours.
INTERNSHIP DATES: June 20th 2023 – August 31 2023 (10 weeks total, 25 hours a week. Dates and hours are flexible, depending on schedule)
COMPENSATION: The Organizing Intern will be paid $17.00 per hour
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Organizing and Mobilization Intern and last name. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the role is filled, Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. No telephone calls or email inquiries, please.
Advocates for Youth is an equal Opportunity/ Americans with Disabilities Act employer and strongly encourages people of color and LGBTQ people to apply.