TITLE: Senior Policy Analyst
SCALE LEVEL: Senior Program Manager/Analyst
SUPERVISOR: Associate Director of Policy
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Advocates for Youth partners with young people and their adult allies to champion youth rights to bodily autonomy and build power to transform policies, programs, and systems to secure sexual health and equity for all youth.
Advocates for Youth envisions a society in which all young people are valued, respected, and treated with dignity; sexuality is accepted as a healthy part of being human; and youth sexual development is normalized and embraced. In such a world, all youth and young adults are celebrated for who they are and afforded honest, affirming, inclusive sex education; access to confidential, universal sexual health services; and the economic, educational, and social power to exercise their bodily autonomy and make informed decisions regarding their health and well-being.
The Senior Policy Analyst will serve as one of the organization’s policy advocacy voices and represents and boldly champions Advocates’ policy priorities in national and state coalitions related to their issue portfolio; analyzes the impact of legislation and regulation on young people; drafts legislation or public comments, when appropriate; develops materials, policy briefs and reports; provides technical assistance to advocacy coalitions, partner organizations, youth activists, and policy makers; tracks targeted legislative, legal and regulatory trends; organizes lobby visits for youth and adult activists and other staff members; and works closely with other Advocates’ teams, including Youth Organizing, Communications, and LGBTQ Health and Rights.
Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Policy, the Senior Policy Analyst will advocate for policies that improve young people’s reproductive and sexual health and rights. The Senior Policy Analyst will drive leadership for a reproductive and sexual health, rights, and justice portfolio that includes increasing youth access to confidential, affordable healthcare services, with a priority on HIV-related and gender-affirming care; LGBTQ health and rights and nondiscrimination policies; as well as other issues that impact young people’s reproductive and sexual health and rights, all while centering young people’s needs and voices.
The Senior Policy Analyst will also collaborate with teams at the organization, including the Youth Organizing, Communications, and the LGBTQ Health and Rights Team to support and inform Advocates’ programmatic and campaign work.
The Senior Policy Analyst must be knowledgeable in the policy issues surrounding young people’s sexual and reproductive health and rights at the federal and state levels; able to assert Advocates’ policy priorities; and able to develop forward-thinking and original advocacy strategy that centers young people’s needs and voices, while keeping track of details.
- Track and assign priority level to federal and state legislation, regulatory processes, and judicial cases relevant to young people’s reproductive and sexual health/rights.
- Provide analysis of federal and state legislative and administrative activities on reproductive and sexual health/rights issues to Advocates’ staff, Board of Directors, youth activists and partner organizations.
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate advocacy meetings between young people and policy makers on the state and federal level, and represent Advocates in these meetings.
- Develop materials, policy and issue briefs, testimony, public comments and reports for dissemination to colleague organizations, policy makers, federal and state agencies, and youth activists.
- Help develop action alerts, blogs and/or op-eds on policy issues as they arise.
- Collaborate with Public Policy, Communications, LGBTQ Health and Rights, and Youth Organizing Teams to develop and implement policy priorities and support a youth advocacy strategy, including developing objectives, timelines and activities.
- Directly support the work of youth activists, including YouthResource and ECHO youth cohorts, as well as the LGBTQ Health and Rights Team. These activities include, but are not limited, to providing and developing targeted issue analysis and materials; advocacy and issue-based training for youth activists; and assisting in building policy and/or campaign/action week strategies such as National Youth HIV and AIDS Awareness Day (NYHAAD).
- Conduct policy and advocacy trainings and presentations for national and state-based audiences.
- Serve as organizational representative and take leadership on key policy groups and coalitions working on federal and state policy reproductive and sexual health issues.
- Foster relationships with policy makers, legislators, and other decision makers in the policy sphere on the state and federal levels.
- Assist with at least one major annual conference, including trainings, program planning, and other administrative and logistical tasks, as necessary.
- Conduct other duties, as assigned.
- Three to five years of experience in federal or state policy on reproductive and sexual health and rights, LGBTQ health and rights, HIV, or a related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative processes and policy issues relating to young people’s reproductive and sexual health at the state and/or national level.
- Ability to digest large amounts of information quickly and turn it into concise, accessible materials for youth activists, policy makers, and colleagues.
- Ability to link state and national policy with grassroots organizing and communications work of the organization.
- Demonstrated interest or experience conducting advocacy trainings, running advocacy events, or working with legislative or administrative offices preferred.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment and to manage multiple projects.
- Must be a self-starter, able to prioritize, and meet tight deadlines.
- Must be a team player that is excited to jump in and support other staff’s work while being willing to assert appropriate boundaries for personal work/life balance and self-care.
- Commitment to youth activism and leadership is essential.
- A demonstrated capacity to work with a diverse group preferred.
- A commitment to Advocates for Youth’s mission and goals required.
$68,000 – $78,000
HOURS & BENEFITS:
This is a full time position (35 hours per week) and includes flexible compensatory time, health and dental insurance plans, life and short- and long-term disability insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, professional development funds, and student loan pay-down benefit upon start date.
This position is temporarily remote due to COVID-19 restrictions, but will be based in Washington, DC, upon office reopening.
Please send a cover letter, resume, a short 1-2 page writing sample (such as a policy memo, issue brief, or op-ed), and three references to email@example.com with subject line Senior Policy Analyst. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with priority for those who apply by December 3, 2021. Projected start date is February 2022.
Advocates for Youth is an Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act employer and strongly encourages people of color and LGBTQ people to apply.