Abortion Out Loud
Applications are now closed to most applicants, but those based in Massachusetts or Mississippi can apply here until June 30th, 2021.
What is Abortion Out Loud?
Abortion Out Loud, formerly the 1 in 3 Campaign, harnesses the power of storytelling, grassroots organizing, leadership development, and policy advocacy to end abortion stigma and strengthen support for young people’s access to abortion. Activists leading the Abortion Out Loud project in their community host abortion speakouts, lead public education campaigns, and work with campus and local officials to strengthen young people’s access to abortion services. For more information, check out: advocatesforyouth.org/abortion-out-loud
What do Abortion Out Loud organizers do?
Advocates for Youth will provide 20 selected Abortion Out Loud organizers with advocacy and media training, ongoing technical support, campaign supplies, and $600 each semester for related campus events. Other in-person and/or virtual trainings will also be available throughout the year. Advocates for Youth also invites the selected Abortion Out Loud organizers to our virtual Youth Activist Institute in September.
The goals of Abortion Out Loud Organizers are to:
- Serve as activists, advocates, and spokespeople for abortion access for young people
- Mobilize fellow young people to improve access to abortion for young people by working to end forced parental involvement laws in their states, increase on-campus access to abortion, and engage in other policy-focused campaigns.
- Identify specific spaces and institutions on campus or in their community that stigmatize abortion and challenge them to center real people’s experiences
- Educate the media on issues related to abortion access, especially by sharing their personal experiences with abortion (if applicable)
- Work to build practical support networks on campus and in their communities to support young people who need abortion care
Who can apply to Abortion Out Loud?
Abortion Out Loud organizers must demonstrate the interest, capacity, and resources to organize strategic, meaningful campaign actions on their college campuses or in their community. They must also:
- Be ages 16-24
- Either be part of an existing student organization that wants to take on the Abortion Out Loud campaign as one if its major projects, be interested in starting new student organization that will focus its efforts on the Abortion Out Loud campaign, or be connected to a community organization or group on the ground (you don’t have to be in school).
- With the support of Advocates for Youth staff, build a specific, goal-oriented, time-bound campaign plan for how you will engage your campus group and/or community to organize for young people’s abortion access
- Participate in any major Abortion Out Loud actions, such as the semesterly Week of Actions
- Organize one large scale event to or mobilize support for abortion access (such as a storytelling event, speak-out, on-campus rally), or legislation related to abortion access (such as a lobby day, phone banking action, etc)
- Participate in monthly check-ins with Advocates for Youth staff as well as team conference calls
- Submit monthly reports to Advocates’ staff
- Be available to attend and fully participate in the virtual Youth Activist Institute (Sept 17-20th)