Advocates for Youth's popular family life education program, Life Planning Education: A Youth Development Program, includes chapters on sexuality, relationships, health, violence prevention, and community responsibility as well as chapters on skills-building, values, self-esteem, parenting, employment preparation, and reducing sexual risk. The following chapters are part of an ongoing revision of Life Planning Education. If you own the LPE binder, download these to replace the old chapters. Advocates for Youth will announce when the full revision has occurred and entirely new editions of LPE are available for purchase.
Chapter 1: Who Am I and What Can I Do?
Objectives of Chapter 1:
- To become acquainted with other participants
- To begin to feel comfortable as a member of the group
- To become aware of one's positive qualities
- To identify things about oneself that can change
- To identify potential work skills and strengths
Activities in Chapter 1
Chapter 2: What Are My Personal, Family, and Community Values?
- To understand the meaning of values
- To identify personal, family, religious, and cultural values
- To discover which values are most important personally
- To examine the relationship between values and behavior
- To practice communicating values to others
- To practice accepting the values of others
Activities in Chapter 2
Chapter 3: How Well Do I Communicate with Others?
- To learn what communication is and what makes it effective
- To learn to communicate personal responsibility for feelings and opinions
- To understand how communication can affect feelings and relationships with family and friends and at school or work
- To learn to be a good listener
- To identify and practice assertive communication skills
- To understand that culture affects communication styles
Activities in Chapter 3
Chapter 4: What Are My Relationships with Others Like?
- To learn which behaviors can enhance or damage a relationship
- To understand the nature of family relationships and what influences them
- To identify qualities that develop and define friendships and romantic relationships
- To explore community relationships and identify people who can help with problems
Activities in Chapter 4