Creating Safe Space for GLBTQ Youth: A Toolkit
- Massachusetts Department of Education. MassachusettsHigh SchoolStudents and Sexual Orientation, Results of the 1999 Youth Risk Behavior Survey. Boston, MA: The Dept, 1999. [http://www.state.ma.us/gcgly/yrbsfl99.html]
- Savin-Williams RC. Verbal and physical abuse as stressors in the lives of lesbian, gay male, and bisexual youths: associations with school problems, running away, substance abuse, prostitution, and suicide. Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology 1994; 62: 261-269.
- California Safe Schools Coalition. Safe Place to Learn: Consequences of Harassment Based on Actual or Perceived Sexual Orientation or Gender Non-Conformity and Steps for Making Schools Safer. San Francisco, CA: The Coalition, 2004.
- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network. The 2003 National School Climate Survey: the School-Related Experiences of Our Nation's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Youth. New York, NY: GLSEN, 2004.
- Earls M. GLBTQ Youth [The Facts] Washington, DC: Advocates for Youth, 2005.
- Wells JW. The effects of homophobia and sexism on heterosexual sexual relationships. Journal of Sex Education & Therapy 1991; 17: 185-195.
- Westerman PL , Davidson PM. Homophobic attitudes and AIDS risk behavior of adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health 1993; 14: 208-213.
- Gross M. The second wave will drown us. American Journal of Public Health 2003; 93: 872-881.
- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network. State of the States, 2004: A Policy Analysis of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Safer Schools Issues: A Report. New York, NY: GLSEN, 2004.
- Ryan C, Futterman D. Lesbian and Gay Youth: Care and Counseling [Adolescent Medicine: State-of-the-Art Reviews; v. 8, no. 2] Philadelphia, PA: Hanley & Belfus, 1997.
- Benson PL. The Troubled Journey: A Portrait of 6 th-12 th Grade Youth. Minneapolis, MN: Search Institute, 1993.
- Blum RW. Healthy youth development as a model for youth health promotion. Journal of Adolescent Health 1998; 22: 368-375.
- Bell CC. Cultivating resiliency in youth. Journal of Adolescent Health 2001; 29: 375-381.
- Valleroy LA et al. HIV prevalence and associated risks in young men who have sex with men. JAMA 2000; 284: 198-204.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Young People at Risk: HIV/AIDS among America's Youth. Atlanta, GA: The Centers, (2000).
- Wade S et al. Cultural expectations and experiences: three views. OpenHands 1991 (Winter): 9-10.
- Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California at San Francisco. What Are Asian and Pacific Islander HIV Prevention Needs? San Francisco: The Center, 1998.
- Earls M. Online interview conducted with 30 GLBTQ youth regarding their resources, perceptions, and support systems. Washington, DC: Advocates for Youth, 2002.
Reprinted from Creating Safe Space for GLBTQ Youth: A Toolkit, Girl's Best Friend Foundation and Advocates for Youth, © 2005. [PDF file]
Click here to read additional resources from Creating Safe Space for GLBTQ Youth: A Toolkit >>