Title: Coordinator, Strategic Projects
SUPERVISOR: Associate Director of Strategic Projects
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Advocates for Youth partners with youth leaders, adult allies, and youth-serving organizations to advocate for policies and champion programs that recognize young people’s rights to: honest sexual health information; accessible, confidential and affordable sexual health services; and the resources and opportunities necessary to create sexual health equity for all youth.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Advocates for Youth is seeking a Strategic Projects Coordinator with a passion for sexual health to lead the #FreeThePill Youth Council and add communications support to AMAZE.org. The position would work closely with the Advocates’ communications team, organizers, sexual health experts, and partners. The strategic projects coordinator should be knowledgeable in young people’s sexual and reproductive health and rights, able to assert Advocates’ voice and positions externally, and be able to build forward-thinking and original strategy, while keeping track of details.
- Provide hands-on support, direction, and management to a cohort of 10-14 youth activists working to expand contraceptive access in their communities including: recruitment and training of youth activists; campaign and work-plan development; and individual mentoring and support.
- Work with partner organizations and young people to develop campaigns and actions to increase awareness and support of an over-the-counter birth control pill, available to all young people.
- Identify opportunities to build meaningful youth-adult partnerships in the field of sexual health and rights, executing training and webinars for partners and promoting young people into partnership roles.
- Collaborate with the AMAZE communications team to produce creative, bold strategies and content to reach young people with AMAZE content.
- Write and develop content for AMAZE.org’s website, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and TikTok social channels.
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
- Organizing experience, preferably with or as a young person
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Experience working in a professional setting with various teams
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and organizational skills.
- A demonstrated interest in the policy issues surrounding youth reproductive and sexual health/rights.
- Ability to develop “big picture” strategy while keeping track of details and ability to think “outside of the box”.
- Ability to digest large amounts of information quickly and turn it into concise, compelling audience-friendly language.
- Must be a self-starter, able to prioritize and meet tight deadlines.
- Commitment to Advocates for Youth’s mission and goals.
SALARY RANGE: $55,000-$60,000 commensurate with experience
HOURS & BENEFITS: This is a full time position (35 hours per week) and includes flexible compensatory time, health and dental insurance plans, life and short- and long-term disability insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, professional development funds, and student loan pay-down benefit.
This position is located in Washington, DC. Advocates for Youth staff are working remotely throughout the pandemic, but in-person office hours will be expected once it is safe to return.
TO APPLY: Please apply here.
Advocates for Youth is an Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act employer and strongly encourages people of color and LGBTQ people to apply.